Free Evaluation Form
Alberta PNP PROVINCIAL NOMINEE PROGRAM (AINP)
The (AINP – Alberta PNP Immigrant Nominee Program), currently more often known as the AAIP – Alberta Advantage Immigration Program, is designed to attract people with the skills and competencies to fill the gaps in the Alberta labour market. Through the Alberta Opportunity Pathway and Express Entry systems, qualified employees can submit applications to this province nominee programme of Alberta. The Farmer Self-Employed and the Overseas Graduate Entrepreneur Channels are two more business immigration routes that are managed by AINP.
The Government of Alberta PNP, in conjunction with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), the National Immigration Department, administers the Alberta PNP. Candidates who wish to immigrate to Canada through the AINP must adhere to a two-stage process:
- Submit an application for provincial nominee program to the Alberta PNP government.
- If nominated, apply for a permanent resident visa with the federal government.
- The IRCC allots a certain number of nominations to AINP each year.
What various AINP immigration pathways are there?
The following four immigration streams are accepted for
Applications to the AINP, or Alberta Provincial Nominee Program
- Alberta PNP Opportunity Pathway
- Express Entry Pathway
- Farmer Self-Employed Pathway
- Overseas Graduate Entrepreneur Pathway
Opportunity Pathway in Alberta PNP
In June 2018, AINP introduced the Alberta Opportunity Pathway, which took the place of the province’s Employer-Driven Pathway and Strategic Recruitment Pathway. It hopes to make the AINP application process much easier, faster, and more acceptable for both companies and applicants.
Criteria for the AINP Opportunity Pathway:
To be qualified for the Alberta Opportunity Pathway, applicants must meet a variety of criteria. Unless otherwise stated, all conditions must be met at the time the application is submitted and evaluated by AIAINPC.
Residence and Work Visa
Candidates must be qualified and hold a valid Canadian Provisional Resident status that allows them to work. The basis for the legitimate Work Visa must include one of the following:
- Affirmative LMIA – Labor Market Impact Assessment
- Exemption for LMIA through inter-company transferees, international trade agreements, Mobilit Francophone or International Experience
- Post-graduate Work Visa
Applicants must be employed in a suitable profession.
Candidates that are not qualified:
- Refugees facing deportation or an appeal
- Provisional residents who are not residing in Alberta
- QProvisional citizens awaiting recovery or those with implied status
A Post-Graduate Work Visa holder must also meet additional criteria. Their current job must be related to the province of Alberta where they are studying.
If you are admitted to and enrolled in your programme before April 1, 2019, one of the following qualifications must have been made available by an authorised institution:
- A post-graduate certificate or a certificate valid for at least a year
- At least a two-year diploma programme
- Bachelor’s Degree, Undergraduate
- Degree, Diploma, or Certificate at the Graduate level
Your qualification must be listed on the Alberta Opportunity Pathway’s authorised list if you enrol and are admitted to your programme after or on April 1, 2019.
Occupation Requirements For Alberta PNP
To be eligible for the Alberta Opportunity Pathway, you must be employed in an Alberta-recognized occupation. Most jobs classified as NOC – National Occupational Classification Skill Levels D, C, B, A, and 0 are eligible for AINP. Unlike several other provinces in Canada, Alberta does not give candidates preference if their professions are pre-set on a certain list. On either side, the AINP maintains a list of jobs that are not approved.
Language Requirements For Alberta PNP
At the time of application submission, you must provide results from language exams demonstrating that you have at least CLB – Canadian Language Benchmark Level 4 in all language skills in French (NCLC – Niveaux de competency Linguistique Canadiens) or English. The majority of NOC codes fall under this.
The only candidates exempt from this rule are Patient Service Associates, Orderlies, and Nurse Aides as defined under the 3413 NOC Code. They must provide a language test score of at least Level 7 CLB or NCLC for each of the French or English linguistic skills.
For applicants who fall under NOC B, A, or 0, the language criterion has been raised to NCLC or CLB Level 5 as of 1.1.2020.
Education Requirements For Alberta PNP
You must have completed at least High School Education in your nation of origin at the time of applying.
From 1.1.2021, candidates are now required to have completed at least High School Education on par with standards in Alberta.
Work Experience Requirements
When submitting your application, you must have:
- Over the last 18 months, you must have worked in Alberta full-time for at least 12 months in your current occupation; OR
- A minimum of 24 months* of full-time work experience in your current profession in Canada or abroad within the previous 30 months. (* It may include experience gained within the province of Alberta, outside the province, within Canada, or beyond.)
The Post-Graduation Work Visa holders are required to have at least six months of experience of work in:
- Their present occupation in Alberta in the past 18 months; AND
- In an occupation linked to their studies on par with a credential and institution approved in Alberta;
- In order to work in your current occupation in Alberta, you must possess the necessary certification, registration, or licensure.
- You must have a full-time, legitimate offer of employment from an organization in Alberta for the occupation in which you are currently engaged in Alberta, as well as full-time employment with that company in Alberta.
Both you and your employer in Alberta must sign the job offer, and it must include the following information:
- Continuous payment of wages
- A job that is full-time if it requires at least 30 hours each week for a year.
- Employment in your current field of work
- Work that satisfies AINP Work Visa standards in a qualified occupation for which you hold a Work Visa.
What is the Pathway for Alberta Express Entry?
The Alberta Express Entry Pathway enables the province to choose a small pool of qualified candidates from the Federal Express Entry pool for nomination. The qualified applicants are chosen by AINP directly from the Express Entry pool. The Notification of Interest must first be obtained by candidates before they can apply.
Candidates who have a strong connection to Alberta and who can boost the province’s economy and diversity are eligible for the immigration stream. Also invited are graduates from abroad.
The criteria for the Express Entry stream for Alberta
Candidates must meet the criteria listed below in order to be qualified to receive a notice of involvement:
- Have a working account in the Canada Express Entry pool and indicate a desire to immigrate to Alberta permanently
- Must work in a field that promotes Alberta’s economic development and diversification
- The CRS (Comprehensive Ranking System) score should be at least 300 points.
The following elements can improve candidates’ chances of getting the NOI:
- Having received a job offer from a company in Alberta or having worked there
- Pursuing a post-secondary programme in Canada
- Family members who live in Alberta: a sibling or a child, Parent
The following elements may make it less likely for candidates to receive a NOI:
- In the upcoming 90 days, the Express Entry profile expires.
- Working in a disqualified profession.
Pathway for Self-Employed Farmers in Alberta
Together with the Alberta Agriculture and Forestry Department, the AINP oversees the Self-Employed Farmer Pathway. Priority is given to applicants who have the necessary financial resources and farm management abilities to invest in a provincial agricultural enterprise.
The following qualifications must be met by applicants for the Self-Employed Farmer Pathway:
- Knowledge of running a contemporary farming business
- Having work experience, training, as well as education are necessary for starting a successful agricultural business in the province of Alberta.
- For the agricultural business that must be founded in the province, a business plan
- Evidence that a Canadian financial institution is prepared to finance the proposed agricultural venture
- At least $500,000 in equity is needed to invest in the agriculture business. The ability to access these funds or a net worth of at least $500,000.
Pathway for Overseas Graduate Entrepreneurs in Alberta
Graduates from post-secondary institutions in Alberta who are from abroad are the target audience for the Overseas Graduate Entrepreneur Pathway of Alberta. They need to want to run or start a firm in the province.
The initial requirement for candidates is to run or start their firm in Alberta for a least of one year while on the work visa. Upon completion of the provisions of the Agreement for Business Performance, individuals are then suggested for a Canada PR Visa by the AINP.
How to qualify for a PR visa through the Entrepreneur pathway of AINP
Step 1: Providing an EOI (Expression of Interest) is the first process.
Candidates that meet the eligibility requirements can submit their expressions of interest, which will be evaluated and given scores within a month of submission. The highest-ranking candidates will be required to submit a Business Application.
Step 2: Submission of Package for Business Application
Selected candidates from the EOI pool are required to furnish the Business Application within 3 months. Payment of the non-refundable $3,500 fee for the application must also be done.
Step 3: Business application evaluation
Upon receiving the Business Application and any supporting documents from the candidates, the AINP evaluates them. Candidates whose business applications are accepted will receive a signed BPA – Business Performance Agreement.
The BPA is a valid contract between the candidate and the province of Alberta. It must be delivered back to the AINP together with the signature within 14 days. The AINP offers candidates an Approval Letter for Business Applications after receiving the completed BPA.
Step 4: Establishing the Company in Alberta
After receiving the Letter of Approval for Firm Application, the candidates can reside in Alberta and actively operate and control their business for a minimum of one year. They must have at least 34% ownership in the company.
Step 5: Concluding Report for AINP Nomination
After the Business Performance requirements have been met, the final report for Nomination from AINP is submitted. If the final report is approved and a nomination letter is sent to the candidate, AINP will forward a Certificate of Nomination to IRCC – Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada.
Alberta’s most recent PNP draws
The profiles of candidates in the Canada Express Entry pool are examined on a regular basis by AINP. It then issues NOIs to applicants, urging them to submit for nomination via AINP Draws. The results of each draw are normally announced almost one month following the draw.
What are the most sought after occupations in Alberta?
The list of qualified in-demand professions in Alberta is as follows:
- Managerial Occupations
- Applied and Natural Sciences and Associated Occupations
- Finance and Business administration Occupations
- Occupations in Religion, Government Service, Education, and Social Science
- Health Occupations
- Sales and Service Occupations
- Occupations in Sport Recreation, Culture, and Art
- Occupations exclusive to Manufacturing, Processing, and Utilities
- Equipment, Transport, Trades and Operators and Associated Occupations
Eligibility of Alberta PNP
A desiring candidate has to meet the minimum eligibility criteria required by Alberta express entry stream; the requirements are as below:
Frequently Asked Questions
Immigrating to Alberta is not a one-size-fits-all solution. What may be easy for one candidate may be difficult for another. It is therefore advisable to choose the stream that is right for you depending on your specific situation.
For example, if you are currently working in Alberta in an eligible occupation, and wish to become a permanent resident, then you may be eligible through the Alberta Opportunity Stream.
If you would like help in choosing the best way to immigrate to Alberta, feel free to contact us.